Student and Student Organization Web Development FAQs
All of the following information applies equally to both student personal pages and student organization pages, except where noted.
Note: The Department of Information Technology does not provide support through any of its offices for the creation/maintenance of websites for students (including personal pages or pages for classes) or student organizations beyond the information provided on this page.
If you note that information here is out-of-date, please let the Help Desk know.
- How do we find out the password to the web account?
- How do we establish a new web account?
- How do we set up the web account on TCNJ’s web server?
- How we connect to the web account on TCNJ’s web server to upload files?
- How do we redirect a web site to another TCNJ web server or an outside Web Hosting provider?
For individual pages, the username & password are the same as for your email account. For student organizations, the group’s faculty or staff advisor needs to contact the Help Desk at x2660 to request that the password be reset. Learn about secure passwords.
The club/organization’s faculty or staff advisor needs to visit the Help Desk, located in the basement of Green Hall, and request that a new account be created. Note that this request can ONLY come from the advisor. The advisor will need to provide us with the group’s name, with a requested username, and may request a specific password (otherwise, a random password will be generated)
You will need to create a folder for the web site of the TCNJ web server.
Directions are using Microsoft Windows on a campus computer *.
- Click on the Start Menu and go to “Programs”
- Look for “SSH Secure Shell” and launch “SSH Secure Shell”
- Click the “Quick Connect” button (upper left) and enter “beauty.tcnj.edu” as the Host Name, and then enter your username and click “Connect”
- You will be prompted to enter your password and click “OK”
- Once logged in, type: “wwwsetup” and press enter.
This will set up your web site on the TCNJ server. You may view your premade home page at http://www.tcnj.edu/~unixname/
- Type “exit” end press enter to finish
*Note: If you are not on a campus computer, you will need to either have on your PC or download to your PC an SSH program. There are many out there.
You will need to upload the web page files to the server in order for them to be displayed on the web.
You may use an FTP client, such as FTP Voyager, or Smart FTP or a web development tool such as Microsoft Expression Web or Macromedia Dreamweaver.
To connect, you will need to fill in the:
- Address: beauty.tcnj.edu
- Host Directory: www/
All files should be placed in the “www” folder to be displayed on the web.
Screen shot of FileZilla connection options:
Screen shot of Dreamweaver connection options:
- Create “index.html” page with a meta refresh tag
- Connect to your site using your FTP software
- Replace the existing “index.html” page with the new page you created (you may want to simply rename your existing index to “index-old.html” first, so that you have it if you ever need it again)
- If you will not be using any of the files on your old page again, you can delete them from your www directory via your FTP software